It is the story of a pregnancy like no other which has reserved many surprises for parents. This is a couple who had a 6-year-old boy. He wanted to expand the family with a little brother or sister. A twist at 7 months pregnant! The doctor announces unexpected news…
An extraordinary pregnancy that left the parents in shock!
Genna and Kyle are the proud parents of Liam who is 6 years old. At 38, it was not too late if they wanted to have another child. Luckily, Genna got pregnant. A beautiful gift of life, but she did not yet know what awaited her! At 20 weeks pregnant, Genna goes to the doctor for an ultrasound.
This was the first big twist of this pregnancy. Genna wasn’t expecting one, but two babies! “She said to me, ‘Wait, are you going to have twins? ” And I said: “no I don’t think so”. “Then I looked up and could clearly see that there were two babies.” “. The tension has gone up a notch for the parents who were going to have to manage three children. But, they were not at the end of their surprises…
Two types of twin pregnancy
Namely, there are two types of twin pregnancies.
- The monozygotic twins which represent about 20% twin pregnancies. This is a sperm that fertilizes a single egg and the egg splits into two. Thus, they are identical twins, they will necessarily have the same sex, the same DNA. It is for this reason that they are also called “identical twins”.
- The dizygotic twins which represent 80% twin pregnancies. This time there are two different eggs and two different sperm. So they are two very distinct children and may be of different sex. They look like brothers and sisters in a family. There are two pockets and two placentas, which avoids many worries during pregnancy.
Depending on the type of twin pregnancy, medical supervision will not be the same.
An unexpected rebound at 7 months
After the shock of the announcement for Genna and Kyle, the pregnancy continues normally. But, in the seventh month, their life changes again… The ultrasound machine asks: “How far along were you when you found out you were going to have twins?”. the doctor announces there is a third baby who invited himself! Thus, the mother is expecting triplets! A rare and more risky pregnancy. Not to mention the change in life when you go from one to four children. In any case, let’s hope for the parents that they don’t have a new surprise at the next ultrasound!
A pregnancy of multiples, a pregnancy at risk
When you are pregnant with multiples, the risks are multiplied. Here are the problems that can happen:
- Intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) for fetuses that share the placenta. This can lead to undernourishment for a baby and circulatory disorders. This IUGR is responsible for neonatal hypotrophy, ie low birth weight.
- Premature delivery. In fact, 20% of premature babies are multiples. 7% of twins are very premature. Prematurity can lead to respiratory, digestive and neurological problems.
- Higher perinatal mortality. Indeed, there is 5 to 10 times more risk than for a single pregnancy.
- Toxaemia of pregnancy. This is hypertension for the mother which is 4 times more common for a multiple pregnancy. It also plays a role in stunting babies.
After the pregnancy stage, there are also the first weeks of life to pass. In sum, the multiple pregnancy is an amazing experience ! Genna and Kyle are going to live the most incredible adventure of their lives and we wish them a lot of happiness!