baby feeding

My child ate kibble, is it serious?

My child ate kibble, is it serious?

Intrigued by their fun shapes and smells, many children have already tasted dog food or cat food. They bite them directly into your pet’s bowl and wait until no one else is around to eat them. But is it dangerous for the health of the child? Emilie Eyssartier, pediatric surgeon and medical director at Biloba, the medical assistant for all parents, sheds some light on the matter.

Are dog kibbles toxic for babies?

Emilie Eyssartier explains to us that there is no real food danger for the child: “Dog kibbles are made from products from the food industry, mainly products considered to be non-noble, (note like chicken legs and necks, animal carcasses, considered fit for human consumption) but are absolutely not toxic. » The regulations stipulate that at least 15% of the kibbles must be made up of meat tissue, however some manufacturers favor low-end ingredients. But these are not toxic to humans, as they are also used in human food.

Is there a danger if my child regularly eats kibble?

Our expert wants to be reassuring on the issue : “No real danger even if the composition of kibble meets the nutritional needs of animals which are not the same as those of babies. Since dogs are omnivores, the composition of the kibble is still relatively close to that of a human diet. So no specific risk. » Nevertheless, it should be known that the croquettes are highly enriched with vitamins, an overdose may be harmful to humans. In order to prevent your baby from eating your pet’s croquettes, it is therefore best to store them out of his reach.

What should I do if my child swallows kibble?

For Emilie Eyssartier, there is not really a gesture to adopt if we see our child ingested dog food. But, on the other hand, it warns of a possible problem: “ The only risk is for small children to swallow a slightly hard kibble. But once the croquettes are in the stomach, there is no particular risk. » To do this, she strongly recommends “make sure the child has swallowed the kibble well and that it is not stuck, if he is too young to chew (they will still soften fairly quickly)”. If you notice that your child is suffocating and can’t breathe at all, tap his back with the flat of your hand or do the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge the stuck kibble and free up the airways. If he’s not choking, he’s coughing a little but he’s not changing colors and he’s just breathing with discomfort, there’s nothing to do. Call 15 or go to the emergency room depending on the seriousness of the situation.

To avoid finding yourself in such a situation, be sure not to leave your pet’s food accessible to your child. For example, store it in a high cupboard. When feeding your pet, avoid baby being around. Your child can steal his kibble and the dog can have a dangerous aggressive reaction. But, rest assured, although your baby sometimes eats kibble, he will not become a big fan of it: “It is very rare for children to ask for dog food… Their taste is designed to appeal to dogs and not to children… But all tastes are in nature!”explains our specialist.

Leave a Comment