April 11, 2018
The toilet represents a privileged moment of complicity and tenderness between baby and his parents. Toileting goes through several stages: bathing, facial and body care. Johanna Ellia, doctor of pharmacy, gives us her advice as a pharmacist specializing in baby care so that your child always has clean and soft skin.
What products to buy for the baby’s bath?
It is a unique and magical moment. Over the months, your baby will wake up to it and will take more and more pleasure in wading through the water. And you with it!
Bath water should be 37°C. To help you, use a thermometer of bath. If the tendency is to wash your newborn every 2 to 3 daysknow that there is no rule or study in this direction.
Please note: at birth, your baby is covered with vernix caseosathis greasy whitish coating that forms a protective film. It will disappear completely after her first bath.
Products to use for the bath:
Depending on your tastes and your baby’s skin, you can choose between:
- Soap-free cleansing gels : it’s the recommended toiletries for the bath.
- Dermo-cleansing or 2-in-1 fluids : they act as shampoo and body wash. Formulated especially for your baby’s delicate skin, they are very gentle.
- Surgras gels enriched with cold cream : these are particularly recommended when the tap water is very calcareous, thus becoming a drying factor for the skin. Laboratories have developed so-called ”surgras” treatments, often without soap, to restore the hydrolipidic film and limit the drying out associated with bathing.
- Cleansing oils : more and more babies are developing atopy (skin patches of eczema-type dryness). This product will reform the hydrolipidic film of the skin.
In general, prefer bath products paraben-free, fragrance-free, colorant-free, alcohol-free, essential oil-free…
Clean baby’s face
In toddlers, the children’s bath should only last a few minutes, time for him to relax and be clean. The sequel continues on the changing table for specific care :
- The eyes : It is important to clean them well to avoid repeated conjunctivitis. Use a compress different non-woven for each eye soaked with physiological serum. This will remove all small secretions. Always from the inside out.
- The nose wash : Baby does not know how to blow his nose. It will therefore be necessary to help him, even if he does not like it! To do this, use physiological serum.
- Cord : After birth, the cord should also be cared for until it falls. Use a compress, water and soap to clean itthen dry it thoroughly.
- Milk crusts : It happens that plates form on their skull like large yellowish crusts. These are milk crusts. They are due to an excess of sebum on their scalp. Grandmothers used a fatty substance such as sweet almond oil or petroleum jelly. But, the fat makes it possible to soften the crust but does not prevent recurrence. Of the specific care exist in pharmacies under made of gel or shampoo leave on for a few minutes before rinsing. These emollients will not only soften the cradle cap but also lift them gently.
- The face wash : Do not wash with soap. This ends up irritating them and their skin feels attacked. It produces fat to defend itself. Hence the appearance of small pimples or patches on the face. finish washing her face with lukewarm water and a compress.
Clean the baby seat
Several products exist to clean the seat of infants. Depending on the situation, it’s up to you to choose the one that suits you best.
- A cotton pad moistened with lukewarm water, soaked in a little mild soap : recommended by health authorities.
- Wipes : They have long been popular but following the scandal of endocrine disruptors: paraben, phenoxyethanol, etc. many brands have had to review their composition. And today, there is something for everyone. Scented ones like Mustela, enriched with calendula at Klorane, with thermal water at Uriage, special seat irritations with Mitosyl, enriched with olive oil to get closer to liniment… However, their use must remain occasional, in case of displacement for example. To be left in the diaper bag for outings!
- The oleo-calcareous liniment : This is the big trend. A mixture of olive oil and lime water (or calcium carbonate), this fatty substance has the advantage of loosen stuck saddles with small baby buttocks without irritating him. Moreover, he leaves a protective film. To be used with a square of cotton. Studies have shown that regular use of liniment considerably limits diaper rash, especially during teething periods.
- The cleansing milk : The fatty side of the milk effectively removes all the dirt from our babies’ buttocks. Disadvantage: you have to use cleansing water afterwards to remove the ”too fatty” side.
- thermal water : In times of diaper rash, your child will not tolerate anything but water. Thermal water with its minerals and soothing virtues will allow you to clean his small buttocks and to soothe him without irritating him any further.
- Diaper creams : Those with zinc oxide have the effect of a real screen between the buttocks and the diaper and therefore the urine or the stools. Disadvantage: very sticky, they are difficult to clean. Hence the water-based pasta, which rinses off easily. Fatty substances such as fish-based Mitosyl or Bepanthene ointment, which are very fatty and enriched with vitamin B5 or Dexanpanthenol, will act as a local anti-inflammatory.
- Talc : According to the pharmacist, this product promotes maceration. And small fungi can proliferate where moisture resides. Only one solution: drying lotions. Some products are also available in spray form (Lotion Cicalfate from Avène, Cicabio from Bioderma, Cytelium from Aderma and Cica-Spray from Uriage). Much more practical and healthier.
Moisturize baby’s skin
Choose body milk to nourish his little skin which suffers from the friction of clothing or a cold cream cream for more delicate skin. To properly moisturize baby’s skin, there are several moisturizing solutions but the massage oils are very appreciable.
These nourishing oils specially formulated to respect the delicate skin babies offers many benefits. In addition to developing this obvious bond of attachment, massage stimulates the production of oxytocin, which has an effect on sleep.
We finish the toilet with a pretty hairstyle, if baby has some hair, with the help ofa bristle brush.
If the trend is organic, you have to be careful. “Organic does not mean hypoallergenic and many are the parents who, thinking well, choose these ranges come to see us because their baby has allergies. Organic products often contain natural active ingredients from flowers or fruits which contain active ingredients rich in acids. They can therefore be very irritating.
Note: ”the dermatological ranges are not necessarily more expensive than mass-market brands, but the effectiveness and benefits are much more remarkable.”